A couple of dual cone speakers “stealth” hidden under the speaker grill will be a major improvement.
I didn’t like the idea of bulging after market speaker grilles on the rear shelf, but I still have to have some tunes when cruisin’, so I made spacers, that will “counter sink” the speakers below the surface.
Then I made a new shelf board and covered it with speaker cloth.
Using the original vinyl trim that goes against the back seat, it looks quite original.
More stealth…Nobody would know there are two high powered Pioneer speakers here.
All dash and steel interior trim was repainted. Use an acrylic lacquer for this. Since it dries semi flat, you can leave the parts you want flat (matte) finish, and hand rub the parts you want shiny. This way the paint matches perfectly.
Instrument cluster…This thing weighs 20 lbs.!!! It was disassembled, and restored. The background faces and the black trim was redone, and some fluorescent paint from the hobby shop makes the dials and arms look like 1959 again. We also added an optional clock.
The radio and glove cover plate was painted white on the LeSabre. A dip in the chrome tank and a Electra/Invicta Buick shield brightens things up.
Door panels are in good shape, but very warped. Start by removing the vinyl from the old board (carefully!!) Use a heat gun to soften up around corners.
Remove the steel top support from old panel.
Using the old panel as a template I outlined the shape on new door panel material. Choose the waxed kind, it repels moisture. Cut panel.
Position the top metal support at the correct place, and rivet it to the panel.
Apply a layer of 1/4 inch “landau padding”, (Yes, the stuff that’s under your mother’s Cadillac roof) and then put the vinyl side back over. Use spray adhesive, mostly in the corners. It is better to let the vinyl stretch, that be glued down everywhere, it will stretch better and look more straight.
Since I replaced the rear window with tinted, all side glass was also replaced with matching tinted glass in re-chromed frames.
The channels in the front door that holds the window frame straight was recovered with velvet material.
Power switches was installed…
Tinted glass installed, and power operated to boot! Took about a week to line and adjust everything to work nice.
New pad was installed before carpet.
New carpet and shiny repro door sill plates. “Body by Fisher” (Body by Rolf??)
Fresh repro rubber all around ensures a rattle and leak free Buick
All seats were re-upholstered with NOS original material. Looks great. The side panel were in very nice shape, and they have an embossed Buick crest, so I was lucky.
If you ever forget your Buick is equipped with power steering, look in the center of the steering wheel to re-confirm!
Looks like we need to go for a ride.
Postcard from Carmel “by the sea”
Wouldn’t you like to get one of these in the mail? Those were the days…
The LeSabre didn’t have the shiny trim around the head liner, so I had a good set polished to chrome finish.
I hate this!
After installation of head liner (puh!) I can install the shiny stuff.
The art deco courtesy light from are way cool…
After much searching, I found a repro houndstooth material that matched the trunk liner. The old pieces were intact but faded and soiled, but they make great patterns.
Some companies offer a 5 piece set for LeSabre and a 7 piece set for Invicta. I have no idea what they are talking about, since my LeSabre liner consists of TEN pieces, plus five cardboard panels. So, let’s just do it ourselves…
The old pieces were used as pattern. I used a tar paper like material and covered it with the houndstooth material.
I should have some more trunk pictures, but they may have been erased.