1931 Ford Model A Tudor Hot Rod Project, part 2

Some assembly required…after re-installing the fenders and a few more things I think I have decided to leave the patina as is. As solid as it is, I think it would be a shame to SANDBLAST and RESTORE this car. Then it would just be another shiny car.

Here is the story on it. It was used as a mail carrier in the Badlands, South Dakota. The engine gave up in 1958 and it was stored indoors until 1990 when the second owner found it. He also stored it indoors until two weeks ago when your truly became the custodian.

All of the interior is missing and the engine head is cracked so I have a clean canvas to work with.

Besides, body and paint is expensive. I will concentrate on wheels and tyres, stance, drivability, safety and comfort.

I am thinking:

Vega box with cross steer, split 1936 .’bones, drobbed axle with reversed eye spring, Lincoln brake with Buick drums, 1957 Ford column and steering wheel…for starters.

Engine…I got some ideas..

Swap Meet Loot

There is nothing more exciting than getting the parts together for a hot rod build. You have a car and a plan (hopefully!) but it needs various components. Ya sure, you can whip out your Visa card, go on the great wide internet and buy a new part or even worse, a new blister packed part! There is no sport in that!
The hunt for good used parts is the most exciting, finding the right part at the right price is the most rewarding. Sometimes the part acquired completes or improves the car, sometimes both.
To look at it more philosophically, these parts were made almost 90 years ago and who knows what they have been through or where they have been. Now, they are coming together to complete a car. How cool is that?? As a matter of fact, one parted out car may put ten other vintage cars back on the road.
Why be straight when you can be bent? Kelsey Hayes bent spoke 16 inch accessory wheels will be the rolling stock on this build. Tires will probably be 7:00 in rear, 5:25-5:50 in front. I don’t know what color for the rims yet. The swap meet is also where you can pick up twenty new 1/2 inch by twenty lug nuts for the above wheels for ten bucks.
This very nice grill shell replaces the butchered one. Quite the improvement, wouldn’t you say?

A 1931 license plate will license the car for life.

 

These ugly fender are in great condition in the areas where mine are weak. We will do some slicing and dicing.

 

Also, the cheap Swede in me appreciates a good value like the unused $69.95 P&J shocks for five American pesos.

This is a ’37 spare tire cover. I also have the surround part. Since this is going to be a driver, I think a spare tire will make sense. Who has time to call AAA when you are on the poker run, you just gotta go!

Let’s do some work!

This is the right side frame horn. The fender brace came off and this probably reflects multiple attempts to re-attach it using stick welders. Now it is just a big lump of “weld”

After removing what seemed to be a lbs of “weld”, the frame horn is ready to be reattached. If this was going to be a highboy I would probably replace this piece but the fenders will cover it.

Tacked for now so I can test fit the fenders.

Hey, it’s a model A fender patch panel. I will scribe the outline and hopefully it will fit!
Mo later…