The rims were treated to powder coating in gloss black and then the new look-like-bias-ply radials were installed. Looks great.
The stock reproduction caps were in perfect condition but they are rather boring. I found these on that auction site. They are old stock and after some polishing they look very nice. I added gloss black to the V8 logo that matches the rim color. I am not sure if they were a Ford or Mercury item or possible an aftermarket. If you know, let me know.
Of course I can’t want to see the caps on the rims so by laying on the floor we can get a sense of what we are looking at.
With five blades removed from the rear spring I think I got the rear sitting right. It centers the tire in the wheel well. I think the front need to come down a smidge.
Since I got the car up in the air it’s time to attend to the exhaust system. A stock single exhaust is no way to treat a flathead engine. The plan is for an all new dual exhaust with remote electric openers. It may be fun to make a little noise from time to time. The short glass packs should ensure a nice rumble from said flathead when going through the 1939 syncromesh transmission during cruising…and cruise we will !
Instead of adding chrome extensions to the rear of an exhaust i opted for 1 1/2 inch stainless pipes for the last bit of the exhaust. As you can see I had to test polish and it will look good when done.
I have another hot rod to work on so…more later…